Pages

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

2014 Medoc Meltdown 50K Trail Run: Recap and Video



I participated in the 2014 Medoc Meltdown 50k this past weekend (August 2). It is so named because of the normal heat and humidity runner’s face here in North Carolina. But on this date there was heavy overcast, unseasonably cooler temps (80ish) but heavy on the misty humidity. So perhaps less daunting a prospect but there remained the trails to concur.

The event is incredibly well organized for a “Fat Ass” event and the camaraderie and enthusiasm from all involved is a primary incentive to make the effort. There were fluids provided and a generous donation of gels and such. Mid race (for me) the grill was fired up and hot dogs were available.

I entered the first lap (of four) with eager anticipation of a completed ultra. I had attempted the run two years prior but dropped at 20 miles. Accompanying me on the run was my iPhone and my interest in documenting the event for other runners as well as my family. This provided the extra motivation of not wanting the footage to have no meaning.

I ran most of lap one trailing a pack of mostly more seasoned runners who discussed various ultras and began making me appreciate their accomplishments but also eventually making me opt to separate myself and run a more solo effort. I prefer the solitude and “mind-time” I find in running.

Lap two was a positive effort and I was able to enjoy both the run/walk effort as well as the scenery. I ran fairly easily despite the soaking of my clothing from the dense air. I completed the lap feeling strong as well as motivated by a fresh shirt, socks and shoes.

Lap three presented more challenge, and more walking but I still felt strong enough. I reminded myself that on the final lap every step would be my last (little did I know that I would truly feel that way finishing the race). The end of this lap promised hot dogs as the grill was being fired up just as I was leaving the shelter. I sauntered in still feeling positive and knowing I was going to finish.

The final lap was reversed into a walk/run experience with the added joy of being bitten by some beast on the back of my arm. Painful, annoying, but also motivation not to stop as frequently. I tried to push my stride as much as possible but my legs were feeling the pain. Early into this lap the drizzle became rain and the rain became a reasonably heavy downpour. But already soaked I kept moving along. Finally I saw the paper plate markings that indicated the race would soon be over.



Epilogue: Running an ultra is much like eating a large meal. Once completed you are pretty much done and not looking forward to any similar activities. But soon enough the muscles mend as does the mindset and you begin to plan for another effort. For this runner it will be the November City of Oaks Marathon.





1 comment: